House Sitters Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: House Sitting Fees
Topic Summary: What do sitters charge for their service.
Created On: 03/19/2008 01:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2008 01:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
A1Caretakers4U

Hi, My husband and I are new to house/pet sitting and was wondering what the going rate might be for this service. So far we haven't charged anything in order to gain the experience, but now that we've been doing it for a few months we're thinking maybe we should be charging something in order to cover gas expense, etc. Most of our sits have been within 50 miles from where we live. Appreciate hearing from others. Thanks.
 03/19/2008 11:23 PM

Author Icon
allykatblue

You probably need to state where you are. I assume because you are using miles you are either in UK or USA? I'd say that rates will differ considerably depending on location and country. I would suggest ringing a few house sitting agencies and asking what they chrage in your area (just tell them you might be interested in hiring a sitter). That will give you an idea of the most expensive.

-------------------------
View My Profile

It's not the destination it's the glory of the ride!
 03/20/2008 12:47 AM

Author Icon
sweetcitywoman

I'm not sure why you would be charging for housesitting if you are getting jobs from housecarers.com
I understood that it was a reciprical deal. I get free housing and in exchange they get a free housesitter.
I use this service to travel and feel very thankful that I can do it free. It's not a "job" for me and I don't think that is the intention of housecarers.
If you want to get paid for it then you should join a local agencie. I certainly travel further than 50 miles - I travel around the world......should I ask them to pay for my gas??????
I actually don't even own a home or rent. I sold my home and put stuff in storage and I am going to use the housesitting service for a couple of years to see the world before settling in a country.

I'd like to hear views from other sitters using housecarers.com to obtain sits. Surly you don't think of this as a paying job?????
 03/20/2008 12:59 PM

Author Icon
A1Caretakers4U

I appreciate everyone's input on this. Like I stated, my husband and I are new at this and just thought most folks charged for their services. Personally I don't think we would feel right about charging since we love animals so much. I'm envious of those that can travel around the world and not have the burden of their own home. Maybe someday we'll be able to do that too. In the meantime, we love Housecarers, the sits we've had and look forward to many more.
 03/21/2008 01:20 AM

Author Icon
allykatblue

This site is for all house sitters to advertise their service whether you charge or not. The only important thing is that you are up front and honest about your charges. There are plenty of sitters that use this site that charge (as can be seen on other topics). Just like there are house owners that charge for utilities and some that don't. It all depends on the owners and sitters, what deal they come up with. The great thing about this site is the flexibility. If you already own a home and live in it and you are not sitting instead of renting/paying for holiday accommodation, then yes, I think you do deserve to be paid as it is extra work, because you will obviously be going home every few days to clear your mail, water your own plants etc.

Personally we are sitting instead of paying rent so we don't charge. However, if one of us was to go and do a short term sit just to help some one that couldn't find a 'free' sitter then we would charge as it would be extra work and we would have to live apart for that time. We would also consider charging for shorter sits as by accepting them we may be missing out on a longer house sit and it means more moving around for us (we have to take everything we have with us - which is minimal but still takes time to pack etc). It's the same with utilities. We believe that the house owner should take care of paying these as long as we are not using a lot more than they would normally at that time of year, however with a long term sit we would probably be happy to pay some or all expenses. But that is general it all depends on the owner and what they can afford.

We have to remember that they would pay a lot to house an animal while they were away and I have heard many people telling horror stories about their animals coming out seeming like a completely different animal and taking some time to get back to normal. If they went to an agency they could potentially pay a lot more than paying a private house sitter.

As I have said in previous posts about similiar topics. It really depends on your situation and their situation. We are all so different so one size does not fit all. What we want is both parties to feel good about the agreement.

View My Profile

03/21/2008 01:03 PM

Author Icon
sweetcitywoman

Allykatblue - I agree with you on your explanation of fees or no fees. I never thought of charging for short term, but you do have a good point.
You are so right, each housesit is "unique" and the circumstances are never the same.
Good to hear other views - food for thought. I do know I like the private housesitting and would never want to join an agency. Housesitters is a great site .
 03/21/2008 10:20 PM

Author Icon
allykatblue

I agree with you about agencies
I am sure many home owners like the security that you get using an agency but I bet the price is nasty. I would only go through an agency as a last resort! I enjoy the friendships we have gained from house sitting and I think it would be less personal if through an agency. It would be interesting to hear from some one who has gone through an agency and see what their impression was.

View My Profile

03/29/2008 12:38 PM

Author Icon
mallane16

I agree that all situations are different and for that very reason we cant assume that everyone will want to receive a fee. I too have sat around the world and will continue to do so, having sold my homes and stored my belongings.

Some places offer a fee for additional services that I am happy to do and accept the fee as additional to the sit, being the presence in their home. Remember, the homeowner is getting a responsible adult to guard their home, love their pets, collect mail, keep their belongings secure and safe, keep freezers and other appliances from failing, provide movement around their property etc etc. I also have a responsibility to run their home-based business for 6 months during their absence. This is what I accept payment for as it is over and above the normal house sit responsibilities. A number of European sits have been similar, offering all meals, vehicle, payment, in return for the safe running of their home based business.

I would not accept payment if it was a straight out sit, but then I would most likely not apply for those as I prefer to be busy and productive.

The other option of course would be to join the www.caretakers.com site that is linked to this one.

Just take it as it comes and give what you can, you never know what you might receive in return.

Mal

2 or 1 the choice is yours.
Mal & Lea

View My Profile
 04/04/2008 09:39 PM

Author Icon
asb447

I am new to this forum. I have done some housesitting for friends and colleagues, I am looking for longer term sits now but have recently done short term, i was told that some housesitters charge if the sit is shorter term and has more than one animal, does anyone do that here?
 04/07/2008 07:26 AM

Author Icon
allykatblue

I think you will find discussion of fees in other threads as well. Some times the threads change tangent from the actual topic title so it pays to sift through them all

View My Profile

04/12/2008 08:52 PM

Author Icon
ImpeccableReferences

I have found over the years that definetly each "SIT" situation is so totaly different.

My very first "Sit" of 6 months on the Island of Hydra, in Greece was totally none paid (0)
Matter of fact was a bit on the costly side for me ~ since the owners back in New York...
I found out suddenly one morning ~ They had not got around to paying their electric/water bills for 6mths!
Eventually, with a little mime ~ few greek words on my part ~ along with some transplanted Brit help, found the fellow to pay, I paid!
But you see this was a trade off... for I was just so happy to be living the life of a Greek Peasant on this beautiful tranquil Island!

Now the kindly folks on the Island of Grand Turk INSISTED on paying part of my air fare...
Not only that ~ they also supplied me daily (delivered) fresh supply of sea food along with choice of wines to go with it! :-)) :-))

Travelling from the west coast of Canada to England is very costly not only in air fares...
... but when you reach a certain age ~ your daily coverage for full *Travel Medical Insurance Skyrockets!!!!
Most of my kind understanding Host 'Sits' across the 'Pond' have paid me a small daily fee to cover my Medical fees.

Numerious sits over the years I have undertaken completly at my own costs.. because I just want to be there!!
My local 'Sitting'... short term ~ sometimes long term too, no charge!

Once you become well known, well liked, well trusted (having repeat sits...) These people become your friends...
You leave their pets, gardens, pools, property in impeccable shape ~ ~ Their appreciaton shown is reward in itself.

I leave for our Gulf Islands on a Home/Two Dog Sit tomorrow for 35 days...
The 'going rate' for sitters on this island is between $30 to $40 a day.
I simply just want sometime away on this beautiful island ~ so coverage of my Rtn Ferries Boat passage is agreed upon.

It's all about your hosts feelings and your own. It must be a "WIN WIN" situation in the end. Both parties feeling comfortable!

Wishing you all many "Happy Comfortable Sit's" to you all,

Brenda :^)

View My Profile- ImpeccableReferences
 07/15/2008 08:08 PM

Author Icon
flablonde

I know this topic is a bit old but I just joined today. I do know there are many people out there that are doing this for the fun and adventure. I wish I could say the same. After doing this locally for 6 years, I need to broaden my area as my fiance is trying to follow his dream of being an artist (the starving really is true!) So, with his sales of 411.20 last year I have to basically come out of retirement and don't want to get back in the rat race of road warrior consultant but I have a mortgage, insurance, etc etc etc.

So, I do have to charge. Locally I charge 25.00 a day for house/pet sitting no matter how many pets. I don't charge a few to get to the site and even if it's just 20 miles from my own home, I don't come home during the time I am sitting.

With all of this in mind, I do have to charge and know this will severely limit my opportunities. Does anyone think my 25.00 a day fee is too much for long term sitting and I need to think of a monthly fee instead?

My only other thought is crushing my fiances dream and making him get a job. Where we live, the panhandle of Florida and in this economy, the pay rates around here are not good. Even for us with college degrees.

Anyway, thanks for any and all advice. I do appreciate it.
 07/15/2008 09:01 PM

Author Icon
purple_bear87

Good luck in charging for your services for long term sits. As you can see by previous postings you will find that owners are more likely to ask the sitter to pay the utilities... justified or not.

Kathy and Leo, Housesitters will travel.
 07/16/2008 09:07 AM

Author Icon
jontie

get a job fiance, ha!
too many sitters out here that dont charge to be in competition with.
But good luck anyway. A monthly fee would be better.
 07/16/2008 08:35 PM

Author Icon
mallane16

Welcome Flablonde,

I charge for most of my longer term sits and it all depends on what I am doing at the sit.

For this current Guest House sit I get a percentage of what I rent out in rooms, at others it is a monthly fee to suit the services, at others I simply sit for no fee, it is all negotiable.

At one sit in Italy I asked only for all meals, accommodation in a private suite and local transport and got it, but I did pick olives from 7am till 5pm with a 2 hour siesta at lunch time. It was only very short term as the harvest season is only 5 to 7 days. For the other 4 weeks in Italy, I travelled and enjoyed.

I suggest you read further down the thread as I have just repeated myself again. hehe.

mal

2 or 1 the choice is yours.
Mal & Lea

View My Profile

Edited: 07/16/2008 at 09:17 PM by mallane16
 07/18/2008 11:05 AM

Author Icon
equity2

HELLO DEAR!

THE OPINION YOU HAVE ON FREE HOUSE SITTING IS YOUR CHOICE.
THAT DO NOT MEAN IT WOULD BE OTHERS PEOPLES CHOICE. I WILL NOT IMPOSE
ANY OF MY OPINION ON ANYBODY.
HOWEVER I WOULD NOT HOUSE SIT AND TAKING CARE OF OTHERS FOR FREE
IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A NOMINAL COST INVOLVED.AS LONG YOU EXCHANGING SERVICES YOU SHOULD BE PAID,THAT IS HOW WE SURVIVE FOR THOUSAND OF YEARS,EVEN BEFORE WE KNOW CURRENCIES.
I AM INVOLVED IN CHARITY AND VOLUNTEERING WORK THAT IS FREE TO ME.
MAYBE WE SHOULD CHANCE HOUSE SITTING TO VOLUNTEERING.
I AM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU THAT YOU COULD TREATED YOUR HOUSE SITTING AS VOLUNTEERING WORK AND I AM SURE YOU WILL HAVE LOT MORE ADVENTURES AHEAD OF YOU,WISH YOU THE BEST AND HOPE YOU WOULD NOT TAKE THIS E-MAIL
OFFENSIVE WAY.
BEST REGARDS
2CHANCEFORLIFE@GMAIL.COM
 07/18/2008 11:13 AM

Author Icon
equity2

HELLO DEAR!

I DO NOT THINK YOUR FEE IS MUCH AT ALL
I THINK YOU SHOULD RECONSIDER.
BUT ANYWAY GOOD LUCK AND WISH MUCH MORE WORK
BEST REGARDS
2CHANCEFORLIFE@GMAIL.COM
 08/01/2008 02:02 PM

Author Icon
bevycr

I posted the below elsewhere on this site headed "charges" and feel it is an appropriate comment in this thread as well ...

Indeed the decision whether to charge or not is a personal choice, there is value to what house sitters offer which is too readily discounted!

The topic of what charges are appropriate has been raised several times and, in most instances, the response is that "in exchange for 'free' accomodations, pet feeding, etc" which sounds as though the sitter is receiving an incredible benefit for some minor duties and services - this all sounds terribly nice but, decidedly altruistic - let's consider reality:

As most house sits include a pet - in fact, more than 50% of the house sits refer to more than one pet - most, if not all, owners are well aware that:

a) no matter how good a kennel is, the pet (usually referred to as a family member) will probably be screwed up - especially after longer stays although short kennel stays can also be traumatic.

b) kennels are expensive - on average the probable monthly charge for a cat is close to $500 and a dog upwards to $1,000 (let's not forget pst/gst in Canada) ... although the following examples may be perceived as extremes - remember those that insist their dog be walked for an hour twice a day, the aged cat that needs twice daily injections or that special diet? A kennel will have a specific schedule of fees for such services - in addition to kennel fees.

c) looking after pets can be time consuming which could result in the house sitter being house bound - in essence, it's a job albeit live in.

d) home insurance - do not know whether this condition prevails in Australia (although cannot imagine why not) but, in Canada house insurance can become invalid if the subject house remains vacant for more than a specified period of time - it's in the fine print.

e) free utilities? - will a homeowner go through the frustration of cutting off all utilities and then reapply upon their return - probably not - thus utilities are best described as a "sunk" cost.

f) even if the home is in one of "the" better areas and a security system is in place ... an empty house is a target!

To summarize, the perception or suggestion that the house sitter is, as a general rule, getting something for "free" is decidedly at odds with reality.
 08/09/2008 06:41 PM

Author Icon
PhotoGal

As far as whether or not to charge a fee goes:

My very first housesit was through this website. I went into the interview not expecting a dime, but the homeowner insisted on paying me $300 a week. I was caring for 2 dogs, a cat, and some fish.

As it was local and I wasn't taking a vacation in some exotic locale, I accepted the payment and have since gotten more jobs from more people in the same community who simply saw me walking the dogs.

Word spread that I was good with the animals and neighbors were calling me left and right. The first question was always, "How much do you charge?". I've stuck with the $300 for a week and it's worked out well. Although I think depending on how many pets you're caring for and what their needs are (if they wear diapers, if they need meds, if they need special care), that fee can go higher.

On a petsitting website, I saw someone offering to pay $450 a week. I think to be safe anywhere between $300-$450 is a good place to start considering it seems to be what people are willing to pay.

I think if you're housesitting for travel and leisure, then charging a fee may not be appropriate. Sitting in some tropical island beach house for free while you frolic in the ocean doesn't necessarily require a fee.

If you're caring for numerous pets, I think it's completely fair to ask to be compensated. Similarly, I would think any extensive gardening or landscaping is worthy of a fee as well.

I don't housesit for the money, but if someone is expecting me to do a considerable amount of work or petcare, then I find no problem being midly compensated. It covers all expenses and I think it's a good way for homeowners to ensure that their property will be cared for rather than taken advantage of.
Statistics
9597 users are registered to the House Sitters Community forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3898 on 06/15/2009 at 05:00 PM.
There are currently 76 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 76 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Return To Housecarers Members Area